Questions to Consider When Choosing a Study Abroad Location
Before you decide on where you would like to go for your study abroad experience, or what program you may want to enroll in, here are a few questions you may want to consider.
- What are you most interested in gaining from your study abroad experience?
- What accommodations will you need and are they available in the host country?
- What housing options will be available? Will any of these options work for you and your disability?
- What public transportation is available in the region/city/town you will be in?
- How would you like to spend any downtime/what activities would you want to participate in while abroad?
- Are you interested in going somewhere where you speak the local language or will you be learning a local language? How will this impact your experience?
- Are there any communities (religious, social, cultural, etc) you will want to connect with?
- What services are available to locals with disabilities? Are these same services available to foreigners? ?
- Are there any educational requirements you must complete as part of your abroad experience?
- Are you interested/required to volunteer or intern abroad?
Questions to Consider When You’ve Chosen a Study Abroad Location
You’ve chosen where you want to go, great! Here are some questions to guide your preparation for this adventure.
- Will you be traveling to your destination alone? If it is your first time traveling alone, try to think of any type of assistance you will need on your journey.
- Where will you be staying and can you connect with anyone there before you arrive?
- What do you know about disability culture/understanding in the country you are going to?
- Have the local administrators/program staff worked with someone with a disability before? Can you connect with them virtually beforehand?
- Do you know anyone who may be able to connect you with someone who shares the same or a similar disability?
- What places/areas will you want to visit when you’re there?
- Will you need any specific documentation to verify your disability in order to access disability services?
- Are there disability anti -discrimination laws? If yes, how are they enforced?
- Will you want to visit other cities/countries in the region?
- Will you need a personal care attendant to accompany you during the duration or part of your trip?
- What is the social scene like? What do locals do for fun?